CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 6, 2011

The Kentucky Derby....a Recipe and my Pick



My Hat Choice, if I bought one
First you have to know that my only experience with Kentucky is a drive through on the interstate although it appeared to be a beautiful state.  Likewise, I have ridden a horse a handful of times and after my last experience (a 2 hour tour no less), I swore off horseback riding forever.  Needless to say, I am still interested in watching the race tomorrow.  I have been to a live horse race once in my life and I don't remember anything particularly wonderful about the day but it didn't include beautiful hats nor did it include mint juleps.  I am certain that those two things alone would have made the day much more enjoyable.  With all that said, here is where you can learn more about the race:  http://www.kentuckyderby.com/

My personal choice for the race (based on absolutely nothing but a whim) is Stay Thirsty.
Stay Thirsty will make his


Which leads me to something to help you with your thirst, a recipe for Mint Juleps: 

Classic Mint Julep Recipe
Picture from Myrecipes.com

Mint Julep Recipe
Ingredients
10 mint leaves
1/2 teaspoons sugar
2 1/2 oz Jim Beam Kentucky Bourbon, or other bourbon
crushed ice
1 oz, or more, water to taste
Method
1. Add mint leaves to glass and muddle or crush with a muddler, a mortar, or just a spoon. Gently bruise leaves to extract mint flavor. Add sugar and bourbon. Stir to combine. Add crushed ice and water to taste.
2. Stir and serve garnished with a mint sprig in your finest glasses or a silver cup, if you have one. (Mint juleps are traditionally served in silver cups, but any  glassware will work)

Finally, here is a site with a log of ideas for those who are having a Kentucky Derby party.  http://www.hostessblog.com/search/kentucky+derby

kentucky derby party centerpiece ideas
And here is a free printable from cupcakecollars.com for a themed cupcake wrapper: 
http://www.chicaandjo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/CupcakeCollars_Horseshoe.pdf

Kentucky Derby cupcakes

Whatever your plans for the weekend, have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment