CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 26, 2011

It's National Blueberry Cheesecake Day!

Not blueberry cheesecake.  Image from Artfire.

I love blueberries.  In fact, I love them so much, that at this time of year when they are readily in season, I often feel like Violet Beauregarde from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  That is why I was excited to learn that today is National Blueberry Cheesecake Day.  I am not usually a fan of cheesecake which is weird because I love cream cheese but I will just say that the blueberries definitely make it taste delicious.  They make everything taste delicious.  Blueberries are also good for you as they contain vitamin C, fiber, manganese and they are a powerful antioxidant.  I know this because the blueberry council told me so here:  http://www.blueberrycouncil.org/nutrition.php

Blueberries


These websites have some great blueberry recipes:

http://www.blueberry-recipe.com/blueberry-cheesecake.html

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Fruits-and-Vegetables/Fruits/Blueberries/Top.aspx

My favorite recipe using blueberries though is a blueberry sauce recipe that I received with a pint of blueberries at Target years ago.

My favorite Blueberry Recipe- Blueberry Sauce

2 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries
1 lemon zest
juice of one lemon
1 cup of sugar
1 Tablespoon of Cornstarch
2 Tablespoons of butter

Melt the butter in a saucepan.  Add in the cornstarch and stir until a paste is formed.  Add in the blueberries, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice and bring it to a bubble.  Turn down the heat to medium and allow it to thicken over the next 30 minutes.  Stir as needed.  Do not use a wooden spoon as the sauce will stain.  Serve the sauce warm over pancakes, ice cream or yogurt.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment