CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It's National Teacher Day - May 3, 2011

Today is the day to celebrate teachers!  I have had many wonderful teachers in my life that have taught myself and also my children.  I will never forget Mrs. Magnuson, my 8th grade English teacher, who gave me a love for Shakespeare and poetry.  She helped me to both understand and to enjoy watching Shakespearean plays.  She graded our papers at night and when returned, they always bore the ring of her coffee cup.  I often imagined her drinking coffee late into the night to finish her work and I probably wasn't far off the mark. 

I have another close relationship with a teacher, my husband.  Don currently teaches second grade and is one of the hardest working people I know.    He works much later than I ever do and he works on weekends when I would never consider putting in more time.  He makes home visits, he buys snacks for those who can't, he brushes hair, he wipes noses, and most of all, he gives the kids in his class a love for learning.  He has a hard time letting go in the summers and he is so excited when he is preparing for the new school year. 

Teachers truly can change the life of a child.  They inspire, they comfort and they teach. 

I asked Don for his version of the Top 5 gifts that teachers love and here it is.   

Top 5 gifts that teachers love:

1.  Chocolate
2.  Flowers
3.  Personal notes or letters
4.  Lunch
5.  Gift cards to book stores or restaurants (or my husbands personal favorite -Bass Pro Shop!) 

Who was your favorite teacher and how did they touch your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment