CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Book: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot


The Immortal Life of Henrietta
From Purdue.edu
 
 I heard about this book about two weeks ago and I was instantly interested.  After learning a little more about the subject of the book, I talked to my family about the story during dinner one night.  I couldn't get this book out of my head.  I put a hold on the book at the library and this Friday night Don picked it up for me.  By early Sunday morning, I had finished it.  It is a compelling narrative of the life, death and the immortal life of Henrietta Lacks.  But it is also so much more.  No one remembers Henrietta Lacks the person, it is her cells, more specifically HeLa cells.  The intial cells were taken from her and scientists were able to recreate and duplicate them.  These cells have helped to find the cure to countless diseases, been tested in space, and have been destroyed by nuclear bombs. I couldn't put the book down and I still cannot get the words of her daughter out of my head.  It is moving, sad, inspiring, and it is one of the best books I have read in years.

This is a link to the authors webpage: 

http://rebeccaskloot.com/the-immortal-life/

No comments:

Post a Comment