CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Birthday and an Anniversary - Let's Celebrate with Cake!!

Although I live too far away to actually make a cake that my sister and parents can enjoy today, I still would like them all to know that I am thinking of them and enjoying a slice of cake in their honor.  The cake is one that my Mom often made while we were growing up and it has very fond memories for me when I make it.  To make the recipe extra special, after I had gone away to college, my sister, Becky, who was ten years old at the time, wrote me a letter and included a recipe for how to make the cake, Chocolate Swirl Surprise.  I still have a copy of that letter today and used it in making the recipe. 


So I hope everyone enjoys a Slice of Life today and a Happy Easter tomorrow! Love, Sarah

Chocolate Swirl Surprise

1 package of Super Moist Devil's Food Cake mix
1 package of 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup of sugar
1/8 tablespoon of salt
1 egg
1 package (6 oz) of semi-sweet chocolate chips (I only had 10 oz of chocolate chip packages so I used that)

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a 13 X 9 X 2 inch pan.  Prepare the cake mix as directed on the package and then pour the batter into the pan.  Mix the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and salt in a small mixer bowl until well blended.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Drop by teaspoons onto the batter.  Cut through the batter for a marbled effect.  Bake until the top springs back (about 40 minutes).  Cool completely before serving.  This cake is moist and perfect with a side of ice cream.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. *sniffle* Thank you for the virtual cake (and the generous present).

    We hope you all have a wonderful Easter and we're thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter Becky! Love you guys - Sarah

    ReplyDelete