CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Weekends are made for Cooking - Mujadara





Today is a cooler day,with cloudy skies and a little drizzle. This always makes me want to stay indoors and bake, cook and craft. Already this morning, I made cupcakes and my favorite lentil recipe which I am sharing below. I make this on Sundays and then take it for my lunch during the week. It's addicting and has the right combination of flavor and nutrition. I made it today with brown rice instead of Jasmine rice to add a little more fiber. I got the recipe off of Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen website found here:  http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/

It was added by confusedhomemaker and I have made it several times now. Don't be alarmed by the amount of onion, it cooks down and it just isn't the same recipe without it.  Here is her website:  http://theconfusedhomemaker.com/2010/03/10/mujadara-lentils-rice-and-carmalized-onions/


Mujadara: Rice, Lentils and Caramelized Onions


Prep time - 5 minutes
Cook time - 45 minutes
6 Servings

Ingredients:

1 cup of lentils
4 whole onions
3 1/2 cups of water
1 cup of rice
1 tsp of Cumin
1 tspn salt
1 tspn pepper
2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil (I have also used olive oil)

Slice the onions so they look like rainbows. Head a pot and add 1 tablesppon of oil and half of one onion. Cook until the onion is caramelized. Add the lentils, water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, rereduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, add the rice and cumin. Cover and simmer for 20 more minutes. Heat a frying pan and over medium head, add the remaining oil and the onions. Cook until they are fully caramelized and blackened. When the lentils and rice are cooked, add salt to taste.

Serve the Mujadara with pita bread. It is delicious. Enjoy!

I will also be posting later today a craft for drying orange slices. The house smells wonderful at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment